Programming (in Perl and C)
MARKOV Solutions is the free-lance company of
My first contact with computers dates back to 1980 (before the
first PC was born), when I was member of a "Young Scientists".
Some bright guys had built their own computer with an astounding
2 kB of memory.
I have programmed in about 30 programming languages since, amongst them
various machine code and scripting languages.
The languages Perl and C have my
In Perl, I developed and maintain a large number of modules, as can be
seen on my personal Perl pages.
Often, I give talks on International Perl Conferences.
Programming in C was my full time job during more than ten years.
If you want to benefit most from my abilities,
hire me to
- program Perl or C, (or any other Unix based language),
- code auditing,
- rewrites of existing, unmaintainable code (software pathology),
- configuration of a software development environment.
I solely develop on a Linux platform, although my products are
usually platform independent. My preferences are with complex,
technical problems, and less with database applications or websites.
overview of experiences, incomplete list:
- Speaker on
Full details and slides are provided on
my Perl Papers
- multiple meetings of the NLUUG,
the Unix User Group The Netherlands,
- a few SANE conferences; the
European (Unix) System administrators and Network Managers
- many Perl conferences (YAPCs),
workshops and meetings.
- Maintainer and developer of Open
Source software, mainly in Perl
- Trainer of The C Programming Language
at AT Computing.
- Trainer of The Perl Programming Language at AT Computing.
- Trainer and course developer of Object Oriented Perl
at AT Computing
- Course The Java Programming Language at AT Computing.
- Course Client-Server Programming at AT Computing.
- Course X-Window Programming at AT Computing.
- Course Yordon software development.
- MSc in Computer Science
(Informatics) at the University of Nijmegen,
with subjects like: compiler construction, databases, and real-time
process design. The Master Thesis was titled
"Real-Time Fault Tolerance in Multi-Controller systems".
- Development and maintenance of many CPAN (Perl) modules.
List of own modules
- Implementation of all Perl applications for the nl
ccTLD maintained SIDN
- Support for SOAP interface development for the municipality of
San Diego, USA (2010-2011)
- Support for webmail development, Portsmouth UK (2011)
- Implementation of various data conversions for SURFnet NL (2011)
- Project to apply the ESA EOP standard to satellite product meta-data
funded by the NIVR, the Netherlands
Agency for Aerospace Programmes (2007-2009)
- Connector for webshop with external data provider, via XML-SOAP
- Development of the whole infrastructure plus all software for
an archive which contains tens of thousands of satellite or
aerial photos of hundreds of megabytes each on disk. Access via a
web-interface (since 2004)
- Organizer of eight "Dutch Perl Workshops" in (since 2004)
- Teacher "Perl" at the School
voor ICT in Arnhem, part of the school for intermediate
- Development of a webmail back-end, which will serve millions of
users in Germany on a large cluster (2004)
- Twice participant of the European qualifying round of
International Collegiate Programming Contest
ICPC (1983 and 1984)
Next page: Websites >>>